Kangkong has a neutral tasted which makes it easier to combine with various meats and even raw or without meat, it is very tasty. Kangkong goes well with the flavor enhancers shrimp paste and fish sauce.
Rau Muong is a Vietnamese dish which uses Chinese Water Spinach or popularly known as Kangkong. I found this recipe here which was simple and easy to follow.
1 bundle of kangkong
100 gr slice of bacon
1 onion, cut in wedges
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 teaspoon sugar
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
– Fry the bacon in oil until crisp and brown. Remove the bacon from the heat and let it cool in a bowl.
– Cut the kangkong in half, half with the hard stems and the other half with the leaves. Wash it with running water.
– Heat the oil and fry the garlic and onion until fragrant. First add the hard stems of the kangkong. Cook very briefly. When the stems are slightly softer, put the other half with the leaves of the kangkong in the pan.
– Add the fish sauce and sugar in the kangkong and stir well. The leaves are shrinking rapidly, but this is fine. The stems should remain crispy.
– When the vegetables are halfway done, put the fried bacon in and stir well. Serve immediately.
You may use Spinach instead of Kangkong or substitute Bacon to other meat you prefer based on your diet or taste preference.